Re: ORACLE FOR WORKGROUPS

From: <smith117_at_delphi.com>
Date: Fri, 16 DEC 94 19:10:29 -0500

<matthew.handelman_at_wildfire1.com> writes:

>Has anyone seen Oracle's new Oracle 7 for Workgroups? It appears to be a
>scaled down Windows version of the database server. I got a video tape from
>them that promotes the product, but does nothing to explain what it IS, in a
>technical sense.

I've seen it.

It is a special pricing and packaging of some standard Oracle technology.

It is intended for people who are using Oracle for the first time, upsizing from a PC application environment.

The benefits: optimized graphical install process, very user friendly DBA graphical interface, no negotiating between your lawyers and Oracle's.

Drawbacks: Not every bell and whistle with regards to licensing options are available. To use really advanced stuff like replication, you must upgrade to full Oracle and commit to the whole Oracle process, ie education, support, etc. This sort of makes sense, as you can get into a lot of trouble trying to implement really huge or complex scenarios without adequate knoweledge of Oracle, and a bit of their help. It also throttle off at 25 users, as this is a comfortable level that can be supported with the built in tuning parameters. If you want to run 100 users, you will end up working direct with Oracle.

Hope this helps.

PS - I think the present offering is based on 7.0, not 7.1.

Regards,

Dan Received on Sat Dec 17 1994 - 01:10:29 CET

Original text of this message