Re: MAC Report Writers Wanted

From: Dennis Weatherly <dennis_weatherly_at_mentorg.com>
Date: 16 Dec 1994 21:45:34 GMT

Subject: Re: MAC Report Writers Wanted
From: Paul Mergener, pmerge_at_pacersoft.com Date: 15 Dec 1994 22:21:52 GMT
In article <pmerge-1512941724460001_at_192.156.173.181> Paul Mergener, pmerge_at_pacersoft.com writes:
>> Have a couple of questions - any help / info would be appreciated.
>>
>> o Need recommendations on report writers for the MAC
>> platform. It needs to be graphical - and easy to use.
>>

>To accomplish all of this you will need two parts: the desktop
>application and some middleware (see next paragraph). On the desktop,
>couple of nice ones you might want to take a look at are GQL
 (and/orPaBLO)
>from Andyne Computing, DataPrism from Brio Technology, and ClearAccess
>from Fairfield Software. Mac (and Windows I believe) versions available
>for all three.
>
>All these applications work with middleware based on the DAL and ODBC
>standards (DAL allows connections to other databases and/or platforms).

We have used GQL for several years now and have been very pleased with the results. I can't speak for the others, but GQL does not necessarily require any third party middleware to access the database. It can use such software, as well as the database vendor's own connectivity products, but it also has it's own connection utilities that require only TCP/IP protocol to function. We've used this capability (they call it their Direct Connection) and it has worked well for us.

Another nice feature with GQL has been its network-friendly operation. The only time you'll see _any_ network traffic from GQL is during log on, transmission of a query request or return of a results set. No other traffic is generated during query construction, unlike some other products (DataPrism was turned down here, at least partly because of this issue. I don't know if it still operates that way).

Dennis Weatherly
dennis_weatherly_at_mentorg.com Received on Fri Dec 16 1994 - 22:45:34 CET

Original text of this message