Re: Changing Oracle passwords by end users

From: Ms. D.H. Harvey <qq45_at_liverpool.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 1994 16:24:54 GMT

schaaph (schaaph_at_xs1.xs4all.nl) wrote:
: : In article <3c1iu3$8d5_at_news.xs4all.nl> I wrote:
: : >From: schaaph_at_xs1.xs4all.nl (schaaph)
: : >Subject: Changing Oracle passwords by end users
: : >Date: 6 Dec 1994 11:46:10 GMT

: : >Hello world,

: : >has anybody ever tried to do the following for changing the Oracle password:
: : >- Let the user enter the old password en the new password twice.
: : >- The program should check the old password (to prevent a joker from
: : >changing the password on a deserted workstation)
: : >- The program should check if the two new entries are equal
: : >- The program should alter the password.

: : >Setup:
: : >Forms 3.0, Menu 5.0, Plus 3.1 on MS-DOS clients, Oracle 7.0 (on RS-6000).

: : >
: : >I would appreciate any pointer,

: Lawrence James (James.Lawrence_at_epamail.epa.gov) wrote:

: : You've got SQLForms, make a form that does that!

: : Lawrence....

: You make it sound trivial. Two questions: How to check the old password?
: (the only way I see is using a user exit) And how to set the new password
: (can I use alter user statements in V2 style triggers?

To my way of thinking the host command, calling a script containing the relevant SQL + return code checking, would be a much simpler option.

: Teijo Doornkamp (doornkampt_at_vertis.nl)