Re: Data Encryption Anyone?

From: Don Vick <dvick_at_lanier.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 1994 19:55:14 GMT

In article <D0u2M6.CFI_at_oodis01.hill.af.mil>, Contractor Bert Nelson <nelsonb_at_oodis01.hill.af.mil> wrote:
>I am looking for a way within Forms tochange some data
>from regular ASCII text into something encrypted and then write
>it to the data base.

You might want to look into PGP ("Pretty Good Privacy" by Pretty Good Software). It encrypts, compresses, and optionally [uu]encodes ASCII or binary files. I believe it can also accept the cleartext from standard input and write the encrypted/encoded text to standard output. If your platform allows it, you should be able to pass your data through PGP under the control of your form. (I don't know how this part works, though.) BTW, the encoding isn't standard uuencode'ing, but uses the same principle.

For more info and to try the non-commercial version, ftp to net-dist.mit.edu in the /pub/PGP directory. There is also a commercial version available.

Donald E. Vick (dvick_at_lanier.com, dvick_at_crl.com) Voice: (404) 493-2194 Fax: (404) 493-2399 Received on Thu Dec 15 1994 - 20:55:14 CET

Original text of this message