C/S reporting

From: Richard A. Wark <warkr_at_vanadium.brooks.af.mil>
Date: 14 Dec 1994 14:51:38 GMT

Hello!

   I hope some of you more experienced C/S developers can shed some light on the subject of reports for me and my customer. We are developing a PB application which runs against the Oracle 7.1.16 engine sitting on a SUN box. We need the ability to run reports (who doesn't), and have source for these reports written in SQR.

Here's where it gets interesting. We've evaluated SQR for Windows which is a great product, however using it entails pulling data off our server and dragging it across the network. The increased net traffic and the cost per Windows client gave me an idea of having a single copy of SQR installed on the server. We've written a mechanism to queue up report jobs in a table and flush this table every couple of minutes and spool/run the reports. So far we've been able to write them to an area on the SUN which is exported and mounted by our clients (via PC-NFS) so the reports appear in a logical, NFS mounted, "R:" drive.

Ideally, due to the secure nature of these reports, I'd like to spool this output directly to the user's machine, rather than worry about permissions, umask settings, and ownership under Solaris. This would give security as well as off-loading housekeeping to the end-user.

Has anyone done anything similar, or have any thoughts to share??

Thanks in advance,

Richard A. Wark
Computer Sciences Corp. warkr_at_vanadium.brooks.af.mil Brooks AFB, San Antonio TEXAS Received on Wed Dec 14 1994 - 15:51:38 CET

Original text of this message