Re: Tablespace size and VMS

From: John Thomas <John_at_toronto.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 23:59:47 +0000

In article: <1994Dec8.114141.1_at_gmuvax.gmu.edu> bgilst_at_gmuvax.gmu.edu writes:
> I am interested in how data is stored on a disk in VMS and how to determine
> if I can create an Oracle tablespace(single data file) on a disk. For example,
> if I do the VMS command "SHO DEV D" to show all disks, if a disk says
> 200000 blocks, can I use all of the 200000 blocks to create a data file, or only
> the portion of that which is contiguous free space(lets say 150000 blocks is).

The latter. Though you could ALTER TABLESPACE ADD DATAFILE to fill in the gaps. This is NOT a good idea, for performance reasons.

> What I want to do is rebuild me database, which now may have a single
> tablespace in two data files, which causes extent problems if a contiguous
> chunk of space cannot be found in either file, although between the two there
> may be enough space.

Don't know how you work out if a space is contiguous in VMS... may ask our system manager if it's possible.

> Basically, the question is whether I have to worry about the
> fragmentation of the disk itself. My other option is to backup the disks, all
> files on the disk, and then reinitialize the disk, and lay back down the files
> and rebuild the database. I would prefer to just rebuild the database.

'Fraid your best option is to do a backup, and re-initialise.

You can use EXP/IMP to defragment space inside an Oracle tablespace... but VMS???

John Thomas, Oracle Team Leader                E-Mail: John_at_toronto.demon.co.uk
The shorter the sig, the smarter the author.                 Tel: 0181 944 9858