Re: Powerbuilder & Oracle

From: Haakon T. Soenderland <hts_at_sasdata.no>
Date: 13 Dec 1994 09:49:19 GMT

In article <D0JuC1.A6y_at_lanier.com>, dvick_at_lanier.com (Don Vick) says:

Don,

>This is one of the problems I see with current tools. People have been
>talking for twenty years about "separating logical design from physical
>design", but no tool that I know of does it. Oracle has the "create schema"
>command that allows you to create a group of related tables, procedures, etc
>as a unit, but if you use it, you are forced into the default storage
>parameters. Why not a "create storage" command to define the physical storage
>for an object separate from the logical definition? Let a "create <object>"
>command just enter the object into the dictionary, and use the "create storage
>for <object>" to define the physical storage. This would allow developers
>and DBAs to work more independently. Does anyone know of a tool that does
>something like this?

Some Case tools will do this. I'm not sure about Oracle Case, but at least LBMS System Engineer will let you define volumes pr. entity/table. The volumes you enter will be translated into storage parameters. I'm not sure how good this calculation is, but it's probably OK as a starting point at least. As Case tools goes, I think LBMS System Engineer is good, but as many of the others it needs to much tweaking to get any good code generated.

Hope this helps,
Haakon
hts_at_sasdata.no

--
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequites of
   the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of