Re: Sybase buys Powerbuilder - Is Oracle Dead?

From: Jay Walters <jwalters_at_igate.iohk.com>
Date: 13 Dec 1994 03:10:32 GMT

John Symington (john_at_comsense.com) wrote:
: In article <3bl4dg$bgh_at_ccnet.ccnet.com>,
: Teresa Seputis <teresa_at_ccnet.com> wrote:
: >James Mcgovern (sunborn_at_earth.execpc.com) wrote:
: >: Oracle being dead has nothing to do with the buyout of powersoft, sybase
: >: has a better database !!!
: >
: >Come on now. The quality of a database does not ensure that it will live.
: >Look at INGRES. It was technically the best on the market but poor
: >marketing combined with incompetent upper management destroyed this product.
: >Now it's just a cash cow for as long as CA can milk the existing Ingres
: >customer base.
: >
: >- teresa
: >
: > (I've worked with Sybase and INGRES, but never Oracle, so I cannot
: > agree or disagree about which is better: oracle or sybase)

: You may be a little premature in your judgement on CA. They have dropped
: INGRES prices and are increasing spending on advertising - actions not
: consistent with milking an existing cutomer base.

: John

: --
: John Symington Phone +61 3 885 5829
: Common Sense Computing Fax +61 3 885 0116
: 16 Dunlop St, Ashburton, Vic. 3147 Australia E-Mail john_at_comsense.com

Did you say increase R&D spending? I think the big issue is commitment to upgrading the technology over time.

Lowering the price and spending more advertising dollars to sell what you have before it becomes un-sellable is milking the cow before it dies.

Jay Walters Received on Tue Dec 13 1994 - 04:10:32 CET

Original text of this message