Re: SQL vs ProC

From: Kim Ng <kimmng_at_pebbles.uswnvg.com>
Date: 10 Dec 1994 17:58:36 GMT

Before you do that, try run "tkprof" or "explain" to see why it is slow. You may be able to speed it up considerably (I have seen 10 to 100 times) improvement by just using (or forcing ORACLE to use) the right indexes. If not using the right indexes is the problem, I doubt you'll see much improvement in PRO*C or any other languages. You may also want to experiment introducing more indexes just to see which is the best one. However, keep in mind that a lot of indexes will slow down update and insert.

Also, you may want to look at the size of your buffer. If ORACLE can store the content of those tables in memory, then your performance will be greatly enhanced since no paging to disk will occur. However, increasing buffer size may raise other issues. Since I have never been a DBA, I won't be able to discuss those issues in detail.

I, personally, have dealt with tables ranging from a few rows to a few million rows and I only see about 10% to 20% of performance difference between them whenever ORACLE uses the right indexes. Yes, I also join those tables with others.

 (Whatever I say and own are mine, mine and only mine! So, don't you dare   claim they are yours!)
 Kim Ng
 Paradigm Computer Consulting, Inc.
 20611 E Bothell-Everett Hwy SE, Suite 280  Bothell, WA 98012
 U.S.A. Received on Sat Dec 10 1994 - 18:58:36 CET

Original text of this message