Re: Powerbuilder & Oracle

From: Lawrence James <James.Lawrence_at_epamail.epa.gov>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 1994 12:34:59 GMT

In article <shayD.20.00098BE4_at_moravian.edu> shayD_at_moravian.edu (David Shay) writes:
>From: shayD_at_moravian.edu (David Shay)
>Subject: Powerbuilder & Oracle
>Date: Thu, 8 Dec 94 09:32:27 EST

>Hi.
>We are in a situation where we may be "forced" to go in the direction of an
>Oracle database. Our previous plan was to use Powerbuilder & Sybase, but due
>to other integration issues, we will need to use Oracle rather than Sybase. I
>know that with the merger/buyout of Sybase & Powerbuilder, there will be
>continued integration on that front. Does anyone in this group currently use
>Powerbuilder as a front end to an Oracle datbase, or do most people use Forms?

>Any comments from anyone currently running Powerbuilder & Oracle would be
>greatly appreciated, either by mail or to this group.

>Thanks

>David Shay
>Asst. Director for Programming & Special Projects
>Moravian College
>Bethlehem, PA 18018
>shayD_at_moravian.edu

We are using both Powerbuilder and CDE with Oracle. Powerbuilder is strong on the Windows side and weak on the database side and CDE is the opposite. Which you use depends on your requirements and the level of importance you apply to these. I personally lean towards CDE because I think strength of integration with the DB is more important over the long run. Powerbuilder's default database has always been Sybase so it tends to do things the 'Sybase' way which is not always the best way to do it with Oracle. I don't expect that to change.

Lawrence.... Received on Fri Dec 09 1994 - 13:34:59 CET

Original text of this message