Re: Oracle 7 Documentation

From: Hank Oredson <hanko_at_wv.mentorg.com>
Date: 9 Dec 1994 00:29:16 GMT

In article <D0GJyn.H16_at_world.std.com>, lparsons_at_world.std.com (Lee E Parsons) writes:
|> > Anyone have any idea why Oracle is one of the few major software
|> > firms that uses documentation as a major revenue source?
|>
|> Lets be fair here. This is really just Oracles gentle way of saying
|>
|> "We dont want to be in the Document Printing/Distribution business,
|> Use the Freaken CD-Rom we sent you and learn how to startup oracle book!"
|>
|> Ok maybe its not that gentle and I dont really agree with the way thier
|> handling it, But I dont think they are planning to MAKE a ton of money
|> selling documentation. Instead they hope to SAVE a ton of money by giving
|> us soft copy docs instead of hard copy.

Side issue: I've been trying to print said documents with little luck. Sun SPARC10 or HP-PA, various HP laser printers. Can't get the print to come out looking even close to what I see online, and in fact it comes out with seemingly random line spacing, borders, pagination.

Yes, I've wandered through the printer setup stuff. Tried 10 or 12 combinations of options, nothing works.

Perhaps someone has a clue where I should be looking?

   ... Hank

--

Hank Oredson _at_ Mentor Graphics             Library Operations
Internet     : hank_oredson_at_mentorg.com    "Parts 'R Us!"