Tablespace size and VMS

From: <bgilst_at_gmuvax.gmu.edu>
Date: 8 Dec 94 11:41:41 -0500

Hi,

     I am interested in how data is stored on a disk in VMS and how to determine if I can create an Oracle tablespace(single data file) on a disk. For example, if I do the VMS command "SHO DEV D" to show all disks, if a disk says 200000 blocks, can I use all of the 200000 blocks to create a data file, or only the portion of that which is contiguous free space(lets say 150000 blocks is). What I want to do is rebuild me database, which now may have a single tablespace in two data files, which causes extent problems if a contiguous chunk of space cannot be found in either file, although between the two there may be enough space.

     Basically, the question is whether I have to worry about the fragmentation of the disk itself. My other option is to backup the disks, all files on the disk, and then reinitialize the disk, and lay back down the files and rebuild the database. I would prefer to just rebuild the database. If the disk fragmentation is a problem, can anyone recommend any utility program to defragment the disk.
Any suggestions on this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Guy Gilstrap
BGILST_at_GMUVAX.GMU.EDU Received on Thu Dec 08 1994 - 17:41:41 CET

Original text of this message