Re: Need Advise: Using Oracle from Visual c++

From: Andy Wilkins <acw_at_ioc.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 1994 11:48:20 GMT

In <3c05te$md5_at_yoda.Syntex.Com>, Mike.Wood_at_syntex.com writes:

>I am trying to determine the fastest way of accessing an Oracle 7 server
>from within Visual C++ (retrieve and update).
>
>If you know of any systems other than ODBC (SLOW!) and PRO-C (non-dynamic)
>I would greatly appreciate it.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mike.

ODBC shouldn't be significantly slower than direct calls - depends on how efficiently the driver is implemented, and how well you're using the ODBC API. Try another driver.

You can do dynamic SQL with PRO-C. Chapter 9 of the manual Programmer's Guide to the Oracle Precompilers has full details of how this is done. You can also use the Oracle Call Interface if you need maximum speed and flexibility. The PRO-C precompiler generates calls to OCI, so you can make the equivalent calls yourself. However, the API is really really nasty, and smells of mainframes. The PRO-C approach is normally OK.

Cheers

Andy Wilkins                                             acw_at_ioc.co.uk