Re: "Listener" with 3rd party software?

From: Roderick Manalac <rmanalac_at_oracle.com>
Date: 7 Dec 1994 06:41:56 GMT

sb63_at_aloha.cc.columbia.edu (Semyon Basin) writes:
|> Hi there!
|> Does anyone know if ORACLE ver. 7 "listener" works with SQL*NET only or it's
|> possible to use some 3rd party software?
|> Thanx.

Not sure if I'm reading this correctly.

The listener is specific to SQL*Net. Oracle7 currently supports the SQL*Net V2 listener and still supports many of the SQL*Net V1 listeners. Third party software can connect to the listener provided they are linked with the appropriate SQL*Net drivers. The SQL*Net listeners can only pass incoming connections to Oracle RDBMS server processes (and with V2 there's the added ability of passing connections through RDBMS dispatcher processes or through Oracle MultiProtocol Interchanges). The Oracle proprietary API that SQL*Net runs on top of (called TNS) has not yet been made public. So 3rd party vendors cannot develop their own full client-server applications with SQL*Net yet.

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position where I can confidently talk about any future product plans.

Hope this helps.

Roderick Manalac
Oracle Corporation Received on Wed Dec 07 1994 - 07:41:56 CET

Original text of this message