Re: Changing Oracle passwords by end users

From: Kevin M Toepke <ktoepke_at_magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Date: 6 Dec 1994 22:18:19 GMT

In article <3c1iu3$8d5_at_news.xs4all.nl>, schaaph <schaaph_at_xs1.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>Hello world,
>
>has anybody ever tried to do the following for changing the Oracle password:
>- Let the user enter the old password en the new password twice.
>- The program should check the old password (to prevent a joker from
>changing the password on a deserted workstation)
>- The program should check if the two new entries are equal
>- The program should alter the password.
>
>Setup:
>Forms 3.0, Menu 5.0, Plus 3.1 on MS-DOS clients, Oracle 7.0 (on RS-6000).
>

>I would appreciate any pointer,
>
>Teijo Doornkamp (doornkampt_at_vertis.nl)

When I had to do this, I set up a Global.password variable in Menu before calling the form, and used this variable to validate the existing password. Rather than directly running the form from the menu, I created a procedure that first set up the global variable, called the form and then set the variable to NULL.

I had three fields on the form, the old password, the new password and a second field for the user to re-type their password for validation. All three fields had the 'echo input' field characteristic turned off.

To actually change the password, I called a user-exit that used dynamic SQL to change the password.

The only problem I had was that if the user had multiple sessions, the validation would not work correctly in the second session.

Kevin Toepke Received on Tue Dec 06 1994 - 23:18:19 CET

Original text of this message