Re: Calling shell script from stored procedure

From: Paul Singer <singerap_at_powergrid.electriciti.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 10:05:56

In article <3bvqur$gpk_at_apakabar.cc.columbia.edu> sb63_at_aloha.cc.columbia.edu (Semyon Basin) writes:
>From: sb63_at_aloha.cc.columbia.edu (Semyon Basin)
>Subject: Calling shell script from stored procedure
>Date: 5 Dec 1994 19:50:51 GMT

>Hi Netters!
>Is there any way to call an external program (let's say a shell script) from
>stored procedure?
>Thanx in advance to all who reply.

I haven't tried this personally, However, there is a set of packages provide with Oracle 7 that allow you to use "pipes" in the database. You can write a program that runs on the UNIX host and poles the pipe. Your Oracle clients can post messages to this pipe that the polling program will then see. You could then have this polling program fire off your scripts. Orcourse you could also setup a table to perform the same function. However the record in the table is only visable once a commit has occured. The message in the pipe is visable once it is posted.

If there is a more direct way of performing a remote procedure call I would like to know as well. Received on Tue Dec 06 1994 - 10:05:56 CET

Original text of this message