Re: Oracle's moves toward the desktop

From: Bob Treumann <btreuman_at_elmwood.com>
Date: 4 Dec 1994 22:18:24 GMT

Kim Medlin (klm_at_atlanta.dg.com) wrote:
: I recently noticed two significant Oracle moves toward the desktop.

: 1. Oracle7 for Windows - Apparently a new product available now.
: 2. Project X - Available in Jan '95. Competitor of Microsoft desktop tools.

  At the Oracle CODA conference, one of the high suits at Oracle said   that Microsoft has always dominated the small computer market, and   Oracle has been strong in the medium-to-big computer market.

  With the advances in low-end system technology, THERE ARE NO MORE SMALL   COMPUTERS. It is Microsloth that needs to catch up to understand how   to manage large databases on fast machines. (Although I believe that   M.S. was referred to as the Evil Empire...)

  I thought this was a very insightful viewpoint. The system I have on   my desk is much more powerful than the Mainframes I used when I was   with Control Data in the eighties....

  My very biased view is that I hope Oracle wins the big system market   share. ( Now called the desktop market.. )

--
  Bob Treumann                          email:  btreuman_at_elmwood.com
  Solution Engineering Inc.