Re: Oracle Vs. SQL SERVER

From: Sandor Nieuwenhuijs <snieuwen_at_nl.oracle.com>
Date: 4 Dec 1994 00:08:54 GMT

Bob Stewart (bob_at_musem.earthlink.net) wrote:
: keith_at_kmoore.itg.ti.com wrote:
: : We were told by our Oracle account representative that to convert to
: : client/server, we would need to buy a liscense for SQL*Net for each
: : client. In our case, the application is run infrequently, but needs to
: : run on 80,000+ clients. We never pursued using SQL*Net for this reason.
: I believe there are two components to SQL*NET. One for the server (rdbms),
: and one for each client. You should have a licence on your Oracle server
: for the maximum number of concurrent users you will have using SQL*NET.
: You will need one licence at each of the clients. For PC clients, I believe
: it's pretty cheap.

I mentioned that you did not need to buy extra copies of SQL*Net for Clients and Server(s) when you license e.g. Oracle Workgroup Server (or any other bundled Server package on e.g. Windows NT, OS/2, Netware), as they are included in the package.

Sandor Nieuwenhuijs
Oracle Netherlands

  • These opinions (if any) are just mine. I do not represent Oracle ---
  • Corporation in this Posting ---