Re: How do you prevent Deadlocks

From: Barry Roomberg <barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 1994 12:08:00 -0500

-> Could someone give an explanation for this? We just recently moved a
-> Forms 3.0 based application from 7.0.12 to 7.1.3. We are now getting
-> deadlocks in some of our testing that did not happen before (Oracle
-> error # 60).
->
-> When we moved the data, we also moved the data and indexes into
-> different table spaces. It doesn't seem to me that any of this should
-> have an effect on deadlocks, but....

Shouldn't but...

If you were on a faster system (or program) before, the deadlock window of opportunity was shorter, so there was less chance dof them happening.

If on a 100 user system, once a month a user got a "Could not save, blah, blah", they might have ignored it and you would never have known. All of a sudden, they see it all the time and scream at you.

This happened when I moved from a dual CPU to a single CPU system. I never heard about the messages before, but when the system got slower, people started screaming.

Internet: barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com (Barry Roomberg) This message was processed by NetXpress from Merlin Systems Inc.