Re: datediff()

From: Tim Smith <tssmith_at_netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 1994 11:31:16 GMT

davidjroth_at_aol.com (DavidJRoth) writes:
>In article <1994Dec1.002817.11274_at_adobe.com>, billmcf_at_mv.us.adobe.com
>(Bill McFarland) writes:
>Oracle stores dates as floating point numbers. The integer part is a
>Julian date.
>The fraction part is the fraction of the day. I believe precision is
>milliseconds.

Was this a response to something? In any event, dates are not stored internally as floating point numbers, nor is there anything Julian about them. The internal date format is 7 bytes: century, year, month, day, hour, minute, second. It's documented in the OCI manual, and in the precompiler guide.

Oracle does not use floating point internally for anything.

--Tim (tssmith_at_oracle.com) Received on Fri Dec 02 1994 - 12:31:16 CET

Original text of this message