Re: front-end vs back-end

From: Burton V. Peltier <ep94bvps_at_noh71cd.shell.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 18:49:35 GMT

In article <3b0i7q$m11_at_newsserver.trl.OZ.AU>, TJambu_at_vtrlmel1.trl.oz.au (Tony Jambu) writes:
>> In article <3avt24$6bo_at_panix.com>, janest_at_panix.com (John Anest) says:
>> >

>> > We're wondering if we're the only ones writing a complex financial
>> >system entirely on the back-end using stored procedures. We have thousands
>> >of lines of code. We cannot keep our transactions short because they're
>> >long!
>> > Is everybody using the client to process the data? Are you only using
>> >the database as a data repository? Is this the reality of the situation?
>>
>> John
>>

>> I asked a similar question a few weeks ago and got zippo replies.
>> We are basically taking the same approach as you are. The
>> % calls of direct SQL statements from the client end to back-end
>> (Procedures) is <5%. That is >95% of our SQL statements is in
>> the back-end or RDBMS.
>>
>> I put this question to one of Oracle's perfomance tuning expert
>> (opps I mean ex-Oracle staff who is now working at BMC) and he
>> said it was a good move based on the type of application we are
>> writing. I would love to hear from you and any others of your
>> experience, that are in the same boat as us.
>>
>> ta
>> tony

>> _____ ________ / ___|Tony Jambu, Database Consultant
>> /_ _ /_ __ / |Wizard Consulting, Aust (ACN 065934778)
>> /(_)/ )(_/ \_/(///(/_)/_( |CIS:100250.2003_at_compuserve.com FAX:+61-3-2536173
>> \_______/ |EMAIL:TJambu_at_wizard.com.au PHONE: +61-3-2536385

   We have an application/database with just under 30,000 lines of stored procedures , functions, and packages (mostly packages) . Also, have hundreds of forms and hundreds of canned queries. The database server is an HP 755 and approximately 1.5 Gig . We have excellent performance with everything. That much code being on the server side is definitely saving on network traffic between the client and server.

   Also, I think Oracle will soon (or does now) allow executing this same Pl/sql on the client side . This would be nice IF we ever have a performance problem. Although , I cannot imagine this happening ANYTIME soon.

* Burt Peltier / Shell Offshore /    burt_at_shell.com *
* (504) 588-0179 701 Poydras #1660 New Orleans 70139*