Re: Oracle and Non-Green Card Indians

From: David Smith at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo <smith_at_netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 10:09:34 GMT

Sudip Chakraborty (sc04_at_gte.com) wrote:
: In article <smithCzytAE.8zM_at_netcom.com>, smith_at_netcom.com ( David Smith at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo) writes:
: |> Simon Stow (sstow_at_uk.oracle.com) wrote:
: |> : In this industry, more than any other, we all have to compete in a
: |> : global environment. I work for Oracle developing Oracle products in
: |> : the United Kingdom. Here we employ many people with passports from
: |> : many different countries: we even employ Americans on the UK
: |> : equivalent of H-1 visas.

: |> : I know that in Oracle offices all around the world, from Moscow to
: |> : Malaysia, from Brazil to Bracknell, there are many US citizens. I do
: |> : not believe that their presence is resented. I suspect, but cannot
: |> : prove, that there are many more US citizens working for Oracle in other
: |> : countries than there are non-US citizens working for Oracle in the
: |> : US.

: |> : We all now have to compete in a global market for software
: |> : engineering skills. The internet reflects that. God knows I see
: |> : enough postings for DBA jobs in states of the US that I have never
: |> : even heard of. I relish that challenge. I'm sorry you don't.

: |> : Nobody ever won by not competing. If they did Albania would be the
: |> : most powerful nation on the planet by now.
: |>
: |> Surprisingly, Japan is a resource poor island, in the Pacific Ocean. They
: |> don't have any official immigration, and are the envy of the modern
: |> Industrial World. No Non-Green card Indians, no illegal aliens, and not
: |> 850,000 of the third world immigrating each year, and they still compete
: |> with the best of them. Tell that to Albania - the problem ain't with their
: |> immigration policy.

: Japan does compete with "the best of them" but the United States is still
: the world leader. I believe that Japan's policies are perfect for a country
: to reach a certain level but to be a world leader you need a vision which
: is not obscured by narrow, short-term needs. Just a few years ago the United
: States was being written off as a tired old economic power limping along
: behind the powerhouses Japan and Germany. But, as we can see, things are very
: different now. I believe that the flexible policies in the United States,
: not only in matters of immigration but in lots of other things as well, will
: be the key to ensuring the position of the US as the leading economic power
: in the world.

The United States has 2.5 times the popluation of Japan, and many many more natural resources and farmable land, forests, than Japan. And they have gained on us. They have gained on us, and surpassed us in many many industries, during the period when we opened the U.S. to the third world hordes, desperately fleeing their wretched countries (1965 on). Immigration is not a plus, as Japan proves. In fact, that is why only a handful of countries practice it in any meaningful amounts. And those countries are stumbling: United States, Great Britain, Canada. By taking in the third world masses, we know one thing for sure: More farmland and forests will be paved, water supplies will run drier, land prices will continue to force families to live in smaller dwellings, and postpone buying, and crime, pollution, and traffic congestion will all become worse. And one other thing is known: The construction industry is grinning from ear to ear, while Mother Nature cries.

: Sudip Chakraborty