Where does the DBA fit in ?

From: Mark Hessling <mark_at_snark.itc.gu.edu.au>
Date: 29 Nov 94 01:37:45 GMT

I need some information on the positioning of the DBA within organisations. Currently I am proposing a move of the DBA group (2 people) from our applications development area to the systems support area. The applications development group is no longer involved in developing new systems, rather they are principally concerned with maintenance of existing systems and maintaining support systems for third-party packages.

I remember recently that a discussion took place in this group or comp.databases relating to this very topic. If anyone has that thread archived, I would really appreciate receiving a copy.

I would also like to hear from any organisation that has only a single DBA group where in the organisational structure (systems support or applications development) the DBAs reside.

Many thanks for your help.
Cheers, Mark.

Mark Hessling                         Email: M.Hessling_at_gu.edu.au
DBA,ITS                               Phone: +617 875 7691
Griffith University                   Fax:   +617 875 5314
Nathan, Brisbane                      ***** PDCurses Maintainer *****
QLD 4111                              *** Author of THE and GUROO ***
Australia                             ======= Member of RexxLA ======