Re: SQL*NET V2 & ODBC

From: Lancesmith <lancesmith_at_aol.com>
Date: 28 Nov 1994 21:40:36 -0500

In article <37br53$19j_at_pipe1.pipeline.com>, sri_at_pipeline.com (Srinivas Gurram) writes:

 After a day and a half of working on it here's what I have to report:

 The Oracle SQL*NET V2 for Windows Package contains SQLNET, Oracle Network Manager and Oracle Adapter for TCP (my protocol). The documentation is typical Oracle. Confusing and Obscure.

 You have two choices in developing the configuration files. You can use either the configuration tool on the server or the Oracle Net Manager on the client side. I choose to use the Forms application on the server side. The Oracle Net Manager wanted to append ".world" to the community names.

 Starting the listener requires running two scripts to create tables. I ran them as dba and had no problems. Once you have the files in the correct directory (and if someone knows why this has to be /opt/oracle, I'd love to hear the awnser) starting the listnener is as easy as:

Your_prompt#lsnrctl start

 Check the status with:
Your_prompt#lsnrctl status

 Move the files you need for the client (See the docs) and use the nettest.exe that comes with the windows version to test the connection. What ruined half a day for me was the connect string.

 The help file that comes with the ODBC driver gives one version of the connect
string and the docs give an completely different one. The one that works is:

 TNS:<Your connect discriptor>

 which you defined in the tnsnames.ora file. Don't use T:<servername>:<SID>
This may work, I didn't try it. But it defeats the purpose on the connect discriptor
which has all the info anyway.

 I'm currently evaluating Powerbuilder 3.0a and Access 2.0. I am interested in talking to anyone who is working with SQL*NET and Oracle 7. You can reach me
at lsmith_at_ssp.nmfs.gov Received on Tue Nov 29 1994 - 03:40:36 CET

Original text of this message