Re: Oracle Vs. SQL SERVER

From: <keith_at_kmoore.itg.ti.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 19:16:48 GMT

In article <3babd8$qvq_at_nlsu110.nl.oracle.com>, <snieuwen_at_nl.oracle.com> writes:

> : Yes ACCESS does work with Oracle 7 and other ODBC products but I think
> : you are supposed to license SQL net and the ODBC driver for each client
> : which I believe SQL server includes with the server license.
>
> Not true, OWS does include client and server SQL*Net and an ODBC driver.
>
> Sandor Nieuwenhuijs
> Oracle Netherlands
>
> --- These opinions (if any) are just mine. I do not represent Oracle ---
> --- Corporation in this Posting ---

I need some clarification on this. We are running Oracle 7.1 on Solaris 2.3. We are using Forms 3.0 for the user interface.

We were told by our Oracle account representative that to convert to client/server, we would need to buy a liscense for SQL*Net for each client. In our case, the application is run infrequently, but needs to run on 80,000+ clients. We never pursued using SQL*Net for this reason.

Were we given incorrect information? Has Oracle's policy changed?

Thanks,

Keith

Keith Moore, P.E.                            Minerva Technology
keith_at_kmoore.itg.ti.com                      3102 Maple Ave, # 240
(214) 575-3460                               Dallas, Tx 75201