Re: Oracle and many users

From: John Thomas <John_at_toronto.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 1994 20:42:01 +0000

 writes:
> |>Brian Reed (reed_at_cbict3.att.com) wrote:
> |>

> |>: I have a friend who is looking into getting a new system, which will
> |>: run about 80 simultaneous Oracle users. He found someone with a
> |>: 7410, 340Mb RAM, and about 55 simultaneous Oracle users. He said that

> |>: Brian D. Reed Brian.D.Reed_at_att.com
> |>

> We have a 10G database on a 7640 w/512M of RAM and 125 concurrent users. We
> are frequently CPU-bound and don't have much memory to spare. We are looking
> forward to upgrading to a 7740 w/1G of RAM soon. I think you will find that
> requirements vary greatly based on application design, so I'd be careful how
> much stock you put in other people's experiences.
>
> Jennifer Corliss is on an InterGalactic cruise... |The opinions expressed
> |above may not be those
> ...in her office |of my employer.

We have a 190MHz Alpha (sorry, DEC model numbers confuse me) with 512Mb running Oracle 7 under OpenVMS (sorry again) and have gone from being CPU bound (on a VAX system) to _just_ having enough spare memory for 110 users.

We run a large application against
a 5Gb database with lots of 'legacy' code that's less than optimised. On the other foot, we do have a smart, in-house system for batching batch reports.

John Thomas, Oracle Team Leader                E-Mail: John_at_toronto.demon.co.uk
The shorter the sig, the smarter the author.                 Tel: 0181 944 9858