Re: Sybase buys Powerbuilder - Is Oracle Dead?

From: Jeff Jacobs <jmjacobs_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 26 Nov 1994 21:01:17 GMT

In <3b6ktv$8g8_at_idefix.eunet.fi> ilkka hypponen <ilkka.hypponen_at_ihy.pp.fi> writes:

>> They don't need Gupta, they've got Project X!!! I got a very close, detailed
>> look at it today, and I'm still looking for my socks!
>>
>> If I told you more, they'd have to kill me. But its got all the things that Gupta
>> and PB should have and don't...
>>
>> Jeffrey Jacobs & Associates
>

>Yeah. But have they got what Gupta and PB have today?
>I thought its me who is living in Santa Claus Country (Finland)
>
>As a user of Sybase and PB software,I'm by no means happy about
>Sybase & PB merger. I have had a full-time job trying to figure out
> Sybase's pricing schemes this year, so I'm scared to think what
>happens to PB pricing.(what is the latest software pricing strategy
>for Sybase? They have tried everything exept "by a client software
>license and get the server software for free".)
>
>Ilkka Hypponen
>ilkka.hypponen_at_ihy.pp.fi

If by "today", you mean, in production, Nov. 26, 1994, then I guess not...

But if you can hold on about 2 months (or maybe less), I think you will see that X, CDE2 and CDE2 CASE are going to give you much more powerful tools and choices than PB or Gupta.

Gupta and PB's big advantage over CDE1 are in the GUI interface, but they are way behind in database performance and handling, requiring much more coding and effort. In other words, they are much sexier on the outside, and the effort in doing the GUI interface is much less, but the tradeoff is much more work for "under the hood" type stuff. Oracle's CDE1 is much more powerful "under the hood", but the GUI is weak.

This changes dramatically with X and CDE2, which not only get current on the GUI side, but bring the much more powerful "under the hood" stuff with them. And of course CDE2 CASE just makes it better.

Just look at what you need to do to get master/detail co-ordination in PB that comes close to matching Forms 4. And its just barely available from Gupta.

Comes for "free" from Oracle products.

The whole underlying transaction model from Oracle is much more powerful than the competition.

Of course, if your main goal is database independence, then you might want to look elsewhere, but then we have to ask why you're hanging out here <grin>!

-JJ

 Jeffrey Jacobs & Associates
 Oracle CASE Consulting and Training
 951-2 Old Country Road, Suite 119
 Belmont, CA 94002
 Voice: 415-571-7092
 FAX: 800-665-1379
 CompuServe: 76702,456
 Internet: jjacobs_at_well.com
 Internet: jmjacobs_at_ix.netcom.com     Received on Sat Nov 26 1994 - 22:01:17 CET

Original text of this message