feedback sought on server hardware

From: Clayton McCunn <cm_at_io.org>
Date: 26 Nov 1994 13:45:21 -0500

Hi folks, I am posting for a co-worker who is having difficulty trying to find fellow dbas in order to discuss performance as related to hardware platforms. In a nutshell, the current db server (sun 670 running sysbase) has ground to a halt, and the company wants to replace the server and is seriously considering switching to Oracle (for reasons I will leave out for brevity).
  My co-worker would like to discuss with anyone out there running a data-warehousing config. of at least 12GB, their performance/hardware experiences (do to the fact that Oracle doesn't know who you are!!!) The main concern seems to stem from a few QFHs (queries from hell) that join a 60 million row table to a 14 million row table, and bring the poor ol' sun to near setting.
  We realize that there are many factors determining the performance of a database application, and we are not looking for solutions, just a discussion with any of those that are running a similar setup and or could provide some valuable feedback.

 Please respond to: cm_at_io.org
thanks! Received on Sat Nov 26 1994 - 19:45:21 CET

Original text of this message