Re: Windows SQL*Net with OS/2

From: <Rony.Flatscher_at_wu-wien.ac.at>
Date: 25 Nov 1994 16:09:57 GMT

In <3avjsi$bb8_at_tekgen.bv.tek.com>, tmramberg_at_tek.com [Timothy M. Ramberg] writes:
>I'm trying, with no success so far, to get the windows version of SQL*NET to run under the OS/2 WINOS2 subsystem. Any one out there have this working and would like to give me some tips? Using the OS/2 version of SQL*NET is not an option in my case.
>
>Any help would be much appreciated.

Tim,

two options as far as I know:

  1. Install the network on OS/2's side; Novell, NETBIOS (LAN Server), TCP/IP etc. are accompanied with VDD's for DOS-boxes (in which Windows runs), so it appears to those program as if they had direct access to the net; SQL*NET should work out of the box then.
  2. Use Oracle's VDD (virtual device driver) which functions as a router, either to the net or to the OS/2-Oracle-database on the *same* local machine.

In case you are using Forms 3.x then you could do everything (including CASE) natively in OS/2 with the appropriate OS/2-software. We are using it with this setup (OS/2-DB, OS/2-CASE and OS/2-Oracle-tools) with databases locally or remotely (on Unix servers).

---rony Received on Fri Nov 25 1994 - 17:09:57 CET

Original text of this message