How to link 100 portables to an Oracle Database

From: Michael Stowe <Michael.Stowe_at_f573.n115.z1.fidonet.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 94 07:46:42 -0600

  • Quoting Simon to All dated 11-21-94 ***
    > Hi Dud's

:) I've never been called a "dud" before, but I'm sure I deserve it on some level.

> I'm looking at the possibility of linking a 100 portables
> into a sun 10 oracle7 server.

There are many options, but first, what do you mean by "portable?" Portable WHAT is the important question -- after working with a variety of portables, your solution will be quite different whether you're talking about palmtops or laptops. Second, the "portability" itself is an issue. Do they need to be mobile in the same building while online? A wireless LAN would be a good solution... By "portable," does that mean they will be offsite? If so, a remote communications system is indicated. Of course, the topology and options will differ depending on what your "portables" are... Received on Fri Nov 25 1994 - 14:46:42 CET

Original text of this message