Re: Sybase buys Powerbuilder - Is Oracle Dead?

From: Magick <hack_at_netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 15:03:16 GMT

In article <sunborn.785504140_at_earth>, James Mcgovern <sunborn_at_earth.execpc.com> wrote:
>Oracle being dead has nothing to do with the buyout of powersoft, sybase
>has a better database !!!

I think that it depends on what you want out of your database. If you want to be forced to use vendor extensions to SQL89 that will preclude your being able to standardize to current standards (or some reasonable facsimile thereof) or something with a little more inherent flexibility, okay, then use Sybase. Then again, if you want replication server, Sybase does that too. If you want parallel server, use Oracle. If you want flexibility on your stored procedure calls, again, choose Oracle.

We had a presentation here by Sybase and I have to say that other than their replication server, I was not terribly impressed with the database. I'll take Oracle, challenges and all, any day. but that is just my opinion and your mileage can and will vary. :)

--
replies to:  hack_at_netcom.com
Disclaimer:  the opinions expressed here do not necessarily