Re: Sybase buys Powerbuilder - Is Oracle Dead?

From: Lawrence James <James.Lawrence_at_epamail.epa.gov>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 11:34:44 GMT

In article <sunborn.785504140_at_earth> sunborn_at_earth.execpc.com (James Mcgovern) writes:
>From: sunborn_at_earth.execpc.com (James Mcgovern)
>Subject: Re: Sybase buys Powerbuilder - Is Oracle Dead?
>Date: 22 Nov 1994 05:36:19 -0600

>Oracle being dead has nothing to do with the buyout of powersoft, sybase
>has a better database !!!

Not that I agree with you but 'better' has nothing to do with it. Oracle has the biggest commercial market share, Oracle has the federal market because of ANSI and FIPS compliance, which by default gets the federal contractors.

The Powersoft/Sybase deal will help Oracle because a lot of Powerbuilder/ Oracle customers will give CDE another look now. Powerbuilder has faults in it's Oracle interface. Powerbuilder already had the Sybase users so no gain there.

Lawrence.... Received on Wed Nov 23 1994 - 12:34:44 CET

Original text of this message