Re: front-end vs back-end

From: Richard W. Harris <rwh4+_at_pitt.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 16:23:21

In article <3avt24$6bo_at_panix.com> janest_at_panix.com (John Anest) writes:
>From: janest_at_panix.com (John Anest)
>Subject: front-end vs back-end
>Date: 23 Nov 1994 12:10:28 -0500

> We're wondering if we're the only ones writing a complex financial
>system entirely on the back-end using stored procedures. We have thousands
>of lines of code. We cannot keep our transactions short because they're
>long!
> Is everybody using the client to process the data? Are you only using
>the database as a data repository? Is this the reality of the situation?
>--

Actually, I've heard of many organizations using stored procedures to process the data in an application.

PL/SQL is a nice language for database manipulation. I've been trying to take advantage of it in our project whenever I can.

>John Anest
>NIDS Southampton NY

  • Rick

Richard Harris, Systems Analyst (rwh4+_at_pitt.edu) Office Systems Services, University of Pittsburgh

"Long as you're not afraid, nobody can run your life  for you. Remember that. Hell is being scared of things.  Heaven is refusing to be scared. I mean that literally."

  • Boomer, "Skinney Legs and All" by Tom Robbins