Re: Oracle/PowerBuilder users?

From: Craig Sivils <csivils_at_Starbase.NeoSoft.COM>
Date: 23 Nov 1994 09:47:12 -0600

In article <3agdo6$m5i_at_dcsun4.us.oracle.com>, Dennis Moore <dbmoore_at_us.oracle.com> wrote:
>I don't mean to offend anyone, so please don't flame me for this post.
>
>I want to hear from people who are concerned about the continued likely
>openness of PowerBuilder, or lack thereof, particularly as it concerns the
>Oracle7 database. Oracle would like to assess what we can do to help you
>maintain your existing investments in the two products, as well as to provide
>you with options such as moving smoothly and inexpensively to CDE2.

If you want to reach PB users, here are issues that you will have to address. I have not used CDE2, but it looks like a step in the right direction, in particular, it addresses the weakness of the library flexibility in CDE1, and provides more object orientation. Features that I don't know if it addresses as well: ROYALTY FREE RUNTIME, Integration with other databases, ROYALTY FREE RUNTIME, Third Party add on products (PB's open architechture encourages a much greater number of packages from third party groups), ROYALTY FREE RUNTIME, Integration with third party tools such as version control and Non-Oracle case tools, and yes....ROYALTY FREE RUNTIME.

I've used forms for years, I like the product a lot. In my current job, there are three main reasons they were uninterested in making forms the standard for IS development: The lack of 3rd party integration, The fact powerbuilder could run better on low end dos machines (or seemed to), and... (3 words, 1st word starts with R...).

Craig Sivls

/* Cross Reference all the other diclaimers in the group for my disclaimer */ Received on Wed Nov 23 1994 - 16:47:12 CET

Original text of this message