Online backups - no problems?

From: Arbitron Company-S/W Svcs <arbiss_at_access4.digex.net>
Date: 22 Nov 1994 20:46:56 GMT

Can anyone describe their experiences recovering large databases that had been backed up in online mode? Were there any synchronization problems or referential integrity anomalies? Did every tablespace need to be backed up - even rollback segments? Were there any special complications with the system tablespace? The Oracle documentation seems a little half-hearted in their description of online backups - as if a last resort. Wouldn't everyone always want to do online backups? Is the extra redo log baggage the only drawback? We are concerned that we will discover the bad drawbacks at the moment of crisis (recovery) and wish it were discussed in more detail. TIA
(p.s. - have read the Loner book) Received on Tue Nov 22 1994 - 21:46:56 CET

Original text of this message