Re: Will Oracle 7.1 run on a mainframe (mvs operating system)?

From: <tekennel_at_VNET.IBM.COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 94 20:59:08 EST

>>tekennel_at_VNET.IBM.COM writes:
>>
>>I cannot seem to get answers from Oracle on how to run Oracle 7.1 on
>>an mvs mainframe and I would like to hear from people that are actually
>>using it.
>>
>>I have an mvs 4.3 mainframe with tcpip and a 3172 that gives me tcpip
>>access to the world. I also have sun servers that I want to have
>>application code running on that will perform rpc calls to oracle on the
>>host. Will this work? Is there anyone that can discuss this will me
>>in detail?
>>
>>Thanks
>>email addr: tekennel_at_vnet.ibm.com

>The current release of Oracle for MVS is 7.0.16. 7.1.4 will be released for
>MVS before the end of the year. SQL*Net V2 for both TCP/IP and APPC are
>currently available on MVS.

>You will be able to issue SQL statements directly to Oracle for MVS (including
>the call of stored procedures located in the Oracle for MVS instance). There
>is no difference in the database functionality between Oracle on Sun or
>Oracle on MVS.
>
>Dave Dargo (ddargo_at_us.oracle.com)

Thanks for your response Dave. May I ask a few more questions. Suppose the application running on the Sun Server makes RPC requests of an Oracle database on another Sun Server (logic server to data server).

Can Oracle on the mainframe accept RPC's from the Sun Servers (with application logic running on them). If so how does it occur. Does the rpc occur on a particular socket address (tcpip addr + port #). Is Oracle so good (I hope) that it would be transparent to the Sun Server (running business logic) that the database and its stored procedures could be moved to a mainframe without application changes?

Also, note that our mainframe already has tcpip installed (using a 3172 as a gateway between the host and an ethernet). Besides waiting for 7.14 is there anything else that is needed on the mainframe to run an Oracle database (like IBM's C, C++....).

Thanks for you help

Tom Kennelly (tekennel_at_vnet.ibm.com) Received on Tue Nov 22 1994 - 02:59:08 CET

Original text of this message