Re: multithreading

From: Paul Beardsell <psb_at_sambusys.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 13:04:46 +0000

In article <3a9kvf$ccl_at_raffles.technet.sg>

           ericsson_at_technet.sg "WanLing Lee" writes:

> I'm currently doing some database evaluations and have
> read some reports comparing the major RDBMS. Some reports
> claim that ORACLE is not true multithreading, saying that
> the multiprocessing architecture only simluates multi-
> threading. Some reports, however says that it is true
> multithreading database product. I'm getting a bit
> confused as to who to believe.
>
> Can anyone help me out?
>
> Confused,
> Wan Ling

Someone is making an artificial distinction. And a Sybase salesman tried to pull the same one on me in a discussion re Sybase vs Oracle. Oracle may well implemented their own internal threading (I don't know - will some one comment?) and if so it might even be better or more apt to Oracle than the MACH or Posix threads are to Sybase.

Certainly Oracle implement 4 different processes on most platforms to do different jobs. Each of those may have their own internal threading.

A criticism of Sybase may well be that everything is in threads. Some tasks of the Sybase RDBMS are probably just crying out for the extra throughput they might get from being in their own process.

Following is an extract from a recent posting from Elliot Jaffe (jaffe_at_applicom.co.il) in comp.client-server:

> Just to be clear, threads were not invented by MACH (and CMU). The database
> vendors have been using co-routine implementations internally for many years.

                       (another name for threads)

--
Paul Beardsell                          SAM Business Systems Ltd
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                          21 Finn House, Bevenden St,