Re: column vs table constraints

From: Jeff Jacobs <jmjacobs_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 21 Nov 1994 17:49:02 GMT

In <3aqbdk$s5_at_tabloid.amoco.com> djruiz_at_amoco.com (Daniel J. Ruiz) writes:

>Can someone tell me if there is a performance difference in specifying
>primary key constraints at the table level versus the column
>level. For example, CREATE TABLE ...
> ( COLUMN1 ... CONSTRAINT TAB_PK PRIMARY KEY,
> COLUMN2 ...,
> COLUMN3 ...);
>
> versus defining the constraint at table level:
> CREATE TABLE ....
> (CONSTRAINT TAB_PK
> PRIMARY KEY ( COLUMN 1),
> COLUMN1 .....,
> COLUMN2 .....,
> COLUMN3 .....);
>--
>

>M. Beatriz Roque

No, there is no performance difference. It's only syntax, and the constraint is considered a "table level" constraint in both cases.

-JJ

 Jeffrey Jacobs & Associates
 Oracle CASE Consulting and Training
 951-2 Old Country Road, Suite 119
 Belmont, CA 94002
 Voice: 415-571-7092
 FAX: 800-665-1379
 CompuServe: 76702,456
 Internet: jjacobs_at_well.com
 Internet: jmjacobs_at_ix.netcom.com     Received on Mon Nov 21 1994 - 18:49:02 CET

Original text of this message