Re: Thanks for ORACLEWare/Novell Help!

From: Richard D Holowczak <holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu>
Date: 21 Nov 1994 10:35:11 -0500

DAGMARA_at_news.delphi.com (DAGMARA_at_DELPHI.COM) writes:

[stuff deleted]

>4. Instead of using NLMs, one should upgrade to using VLMs (sorry, I'm
>not a comm preson, but this was the way it was explained to me) on all
>the clients. Apparently the upgrade occured on the server side, but not
>the client side, so data was being pusched down the pipeline using 80
>packet frames with lots of handshaking between the two. Once the clients
>were upgraded, we encountered a 150% increase in performance.

 This is not quite correct. On the client side, you have  choice of using either the "original" NETX client shell  or the newer VLM client shell. Your recommendation is  still valid though. Use the newer VLMs if you can.

 The NLM (Netware Loadable Modules) run only on the server.

Rich Holowczak
Rutgers University
holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu Received on Mon Nov 21 1994 - 16:35:11 CET

Original text of this message