Re: SQLWIN-TO-ORACLE GURUS. HELP!

From: Timothy Gray <tgray_at_NeoSoft.com>
Date: 20 Nov 1994 21:51:15 GMT

<< GUESS ?? >> (tanmy_at_merlion.singnet.com.sg) wrote:
: Hi,

: I would like to hear all the Dos and Don'ts from all those GURUS who
: have used SQLWIN as FE tools to Oracle Database. I know all these *TIPS*
: should be learn through the *hard* way, but sigh...my boss and project
: just don't give me the *time* for it....

: Thanks a million for any help.

First, make certain that you are using the right version of SQLRouter to Oracle for both your release of SQLWindows, SQLNET, and Oracle; if you don't do this, you're in for a real nightmare. Second, avoid syntax specific to SQLBase, such as trying to set the concurrency level; it won't work with Oracle. Third, avoid using PL/SQl syntax, for it will either not work or it will be extremely slow. Use stored procedures on the server instead.
Lastly, avoid using Oracle outer joins in your code. Not only are they not portable, but they can be slow.

--
TIMOTHY GRAY                   Phone: 713-654-4100
Fax: 713-658-3120              Mail: tgray_at_sugar.neosoft.com