Survey: Database Statistics Maintenance

From: Jay <li_at_news.cs.columbia.edu>
Date: 19 Nov 1994 15:29:02 -0500

Dear all:

I am in the process of writing up my PHD thesis proposal. One specific area being surveyed in the proposal is about maintaining database profile information. I would appreciate if anyone could shed some lights on the following questions.

  1. What information is exactly maintained by any commercial/research DBMS?
  2. What information is approximately maintained?
  3. Due to what performance considerations is the information maintained in that way?

The information could span table as well as index statistics.

I will post a summary if there are enough interests.

Regards,

  • Jay Department of Computer Science Columbia University