Re: Sybase buys Powerbuilder - Is Oracle Dead?

From: John Susag <John.Susag_at_Minneapolis.NCR.COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 16:09:49 GMT

>In article <170sysCzFDIn.8L3_at_netcom.com> 170 Systems writes:
>Jeff Jacobs (jmjacobs_at_ix.netcom.com) wrote:
>: I would imagine that Oracle views this with more than a bit of glee. CDE2
 (Forms
>: 4.5, Reports 2.5, etc) will be much more competive with PB, and now PB can
>: no longer claim to server independent.
>
>Why can PB not claim to be server independent still? Have they
>announced plans to drop support for all non-Sybase non-RDBMS's?
>I would be surprised if they did, considering Oracle is moving in
>the opposite direction with every new release of CDE.

Do you trust Sybase to keep PB database independent? Do you trust Oracle to make CDE2/Sybase support as complete and timely as CDE2/Oracle support?

A lot of people were attracted to PB because they were independent. Sybase needed tools, no question. One stop shopping is one nice thing Oracle & Informix can offer which Sybase could not. I see some gain for Sybase, some loss for PB.

John.Susag_at_Minneapolis.NCR.COM
AT&T Global Information Solutions
Opinions expressed are mine alone - Don't flame anyone else Received on Fri Nov 18 1994 - 17:09:49 CET

Original text of this message