Re: MSWord<-->Oracle interfaxe?

From: Rene Rivera <rivera_at_aristotle.ils.nwu.edu>
Date: 18 Nov 1994 19:05:56 GMT

Steven Whatley (swhatle_at_starbase.neosoft.com) wrote:
: The company that I am doing some work for *loves* documentation. We have
: Word 2 & 6 and Oracle V7. It would be very nice to allow them to talk to
: each other. Since I have never done this before, I have a couple qustions.

: 1. Obviously, the first question is "What products can do this?"
  I would suggest using ODBC to access the databse. This is what we use and works great. With ODBC and Word 6 Developers Book(with disk) you can either add functionality to Word using C/C++, or such, or write Word Basic scripts to access ODBC directly.
: 2. This one requires more thought. What would you want this interface to
: do? I assume a person would want this interface to do more than just
: create Word tables based upon embedded SQL Queries. Or, is that the
: only thing needed?
  Querying the database is not the only thing in the world, after all you need to get the data in there in the first place. By using the same frontend, in your case Word, for both reading wnd writting to the db enhances the user interface. In our case we use it to label Word document contents and input this along with the document into Oracle7.

: Any help on this will appreciated.

: Thanks,

 Your welcome.
: Steven Whatley

: _ _ _ _ __ : Steven Whatley \ The opinions expressed are my
: |_ |_| | | : System Analyst/Programmer \ own. You may freely copy,
: _| | | _|_ |__ : saichelp_at_starbase.neosoft.com \_use,_or_ignore_them._______
: Scientific Applications International Corporation (An employee-owned company)

  • Grafik +--+ Rene Rivera rrivera_at_pascal.acm.org |+-|+ Institute for the Learning Sciences rivera_at_ils.nwu.edu +|-+| Northwestern University grafik_at_nwu.edu +--+ 1890 Maple Avenue; Evanston, IL 60201