Re: "Hung" Select bug in 7.0.X

From: Brian W. Gardner <bgardner_at_infinet.com>
Date: 18 Nov 1994 18:15:12 GMT

Bruce Pihlamae (pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au) wrote:

: In article <Cz9LK1.JuI_at_world.std.com>, lparsons_at_world.std.com (Lee E Parsons) writes:

: >
: > After a short period of usage, selects against a group of user
: > views seem to hang. In reality their process is CPU bound and
: > recursive calls for the session goes though the roof. A trace of
: > that session shows that they are in an endless loop executing the
: > following statement:
: >
: > 'select text from view$ where obj# = :1'
: >
: >
: > Has anyone seen something that looks like this? If so how did you
: > get around it? Comments?

I have a Pro*C program that runs as a daemon which queries the v$lock table every 5 seconds. This invariably creates gobs of REDO, which in my case in archived. So you can guess what happens - logs fill up the redo log area and Oracle dies. It's not the same as your problem, but the fact that the select is going against the DD views has piqued my interest. Oracle is "working on it" right now.

Any connection?

--
Brian W. Gardner                       "Captain, I protest; I am not a
495 Park Blvd.                          merry man!" - Lt. Worf