Re: Sybase buys Powerbuilder - Is Oracle Dead?

From: Jeff Jacobs <jmjacobs_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 17 Nov 1994 18:17:45 GMT

In <khuisman.38.000F51C4_at_wnet.gov.edmonton.ab.ca> khuisman_at_wnet.gov.edmonton.ab.ca (Ken Huisman) writes:

>I heard today that Sybase bought PowerSoft for something like 960 million.
>So how do you think this is going to affect Oracle?
>
>The real cost of software development is in the code, not in the back-end
>database. If Sybase chooses to make powerbuilder/oracle "second tier", will
>people replace their oracle servers with Sybase ones, if it becomes necessary?
>
>This could be very interesting indeed.

Sybase saw that the major reason they lost sales was the lack of tools. Their purchase of Gain/Momentum was certainly not the solution.

I highly doubt that anyone with PB/Oracle will replace Oracle with Sybase. They are much more likely to look to alternative tools for their _future_development.

There are plenty of alternatives to PB.

I would imagine that Oracle views this with more than a bit of glee. CDE2 (Forms 4.5, Reports 2.5, etc) will be much more competive with PB, and now PB can no longer claim to server independent.

And if Oracle positions and markets its upcoming CDE2 CASE tool properly, it will blow away the competition.

I think the Sybase/PB deal was in large part motiviated by fear of Oracle's CDE2. -JJ

 Jeffrey Jacobs & Associates
 Oracle CASE Consulting and Training
 951-2 Old Country Road, Suite 119
 Belmont, CA 94002
 Voice: 415-571-7092
 FAX: 800-665-1379
 CompuServe: 76702,456
 Internet: jjacobs_at_well.com
 Internet: jmjacobs_at_ix.netcom.com     Received on Thu Nov 17 1994 - 19:17:45 CET

Original text of this message