OPEN_CURSORS param in INIT.ORA

From: JEFF CHAMBLEE <chamblej_at_author.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: 16 Nov 1994 15:52 -0500

Hi folks,

I'm getting an ORA-01000 error "maximum open cursors exceeded" from within SQL*Forms. I've been told to just go and increase OPEN_CURSORS in INIT.ORA. But first I'd like to make know if increasing OPEN_CURSORS will take memory (SGA space) away from other stuff.

I have a recommendation from Marcel Krato [KRATOM_at_CBR.HHCS.GOV.AU] which says always set OPEN_CURSORS to the max (255 for Oracle V6). Note I'm on V7.

What are the tradeoffs?

I never saw fit to mess with any INIT.ORA parameters, so they are all Oracle defaults. Right now OPEN_CURSORS=50.

I'm using:

ORACLE7 Server Release 7.0.15.4.1 - Production With the procedural, distributed, and Parallel Server options PL/SQL Release 2.0.17.1.0 - Production

SQL*Forms 3.0.16.12.0

OpenVMS 6.1

Jeff Chamblee			      	"I'm not very smart, but
Computer Sciences Corp. 	      	I can lift heavy things."
Laurel, MD 20707 USA
CHAMBLEJ_at_AUTHOR.GSFC.NASA.GOV Received on Wed Nov 16 1994 - 21:52:30 CET

Original text of this message