Re: Packet Filtering/security between Oracle servers

From: Lee E Parsons <lparsons_at_world.std.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 19:33:08 GMT

Rick Wessman <rwessman_at_rwessman.us.oracle.com> wrote:
>>(If thay have passwords that is and we all know how easy those are to get :)
>
>I would like to point out that as of 7.1, all passwords are encrypted.

Ok fair enough. I wasn't attempting to criticize Oracle's use of sqlnet. It is true however that oracle password control has not been looked at as long and as hard as Unix passwords.

ie) how do you force a sql user to change his password every 30 days

    or require a 6 character passwd with atleast one non-alpha.

Again, I'm not trying to slam oracle here. I'm not really sure we even need those type of features. But if the orginal poster is serious enough about security to put in a packet filter then he should make sure that realizes password security on Oracle accounts may not be what he expects.

--
Regards,

Lee E. Parsons
Systems Oracle DBA	 			lparsons_at_world.std.com