Re: Oracle and Non-Green Card Indians

From: Philip Chee <philip_at_aleytys.pc.my>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 94 05:11:10 GMT

In article <smithCz5Gzs.8s2_at_netcom.com> smith_at_netcom.com writes:

>Right, tons of positions. Ever been to a job fair, and seen the deperate
>techical college graduates, swarming the booths for a few positions.
>
>: >Is is morally right to allow Oracle to save a few bucks
>: >while Americans with Computer Science degrees are unemployed.

Recently Oracle has been hiring loads of Chinese-British to man their Hong Kong office. I wonder if Smithy is going to spring to the defence of those unemployed Honkies desperate to get a job at Oracle but can't because Oracle is recruiting Brits instead? Nahhh!

The Oracle Office here in Malaysia has a diverse and cosmopolitian mix of nationalities (including Indians). In my dealings with them I have not observed any "cultural barriers" between the WASPs and the rest (in fact one of them - Mark - even married a local).

Perhaps most Americans don't realise it but Oracle is a multinational company and tends to recruit the best regardless of nationality or race. To hire WASPs exclusively would be handicaping itself when competing against Sybase (or Informix or CA or take your pick). Remember, it's a global market out there and it makes business sense to recruit the best available.

Philip

--
|Philip Chee: philip_at_aleytys.pc.my| This is a work of fiction.Any resemblance |