Re: Why don't large companies use Ada?

From: Martijn Dekker <mdekker_at_fwi.uva.nl>
Date: 15 Nov 1994 17:17:16 +0100

emery_at_goldfinger.mitre.org (David Emery) wrote:

:>Ada developers are rare. C/C++ developers are all over the place.
:
:It's a big mistake to equate C and C++ programmers. There's a
:substantial difference in approach between the two languages. In my
:observation, the number of C programmers >> the number of C++
:programmers. What's worse, the number of people claiming to
:know C++ >> the number of people who actually understand the language.
:
:Thus a lot of alleged C++ is nothing more than bad C with 'OOP-sugar'
:sprinkled over the code.
:
: dave

Couldn't have said it better! Most C++ programs I have seen, use C++ as nothing more than a convenient preprocessor of C. The ideas of OOP are not found in those programs.

But, of course, there are people who understand the concept of OOP and seem to be able to program in an 'OOP-style' using C++. I an not sure I understand what Object Oriented Programming is all about, but I one very happy C programmer.

--
Martijn Dekker         | PFF - software: coding for Atari and X machines
University of Amsterdam|  Mail for info about Ishido