Re: Largest DB in Syabse and Oracle - Startup size

From: <evans036_at_dukemc.mc.duke.edu>
Date: 15 Nov 1994 22:00:00 GMT

the prob with large dbs is not usually thru put, but time to reorg, create indexes, recover etc etc. a single-tape-drive restore can take 2 or 3 hrs per gig (v4.9.2). even dbms's like db2 restore around 2 gigs per hour (depending on indexes).

large dbs require special tricks (such as off-line reorg, followed by replication from prod to re-orged db, followed by db renames to get new version in prod) which are a pain in the butt to design & execute.

personally i would not have a 200gig db in sybase (yet) unless i really had no option.

steve.